In Stone Siding and Stone Veneer Siding materials like Granite and limestone are ideal to go with if you’re looking to add curb appeal to your home. However, since both materials are much higher in cost than other siding options and are harder to add on to a preexisting home, you should consider your budget and logistics. However, if you’re looking for a far less expensive and more lightweight material for than stone for your siding, you should go with stone-veneer. With this siding material, there are plenty of styles to choose from to help improve the aesthetic of your home.
The advantages of manufactured stone veneer over natural stone are:
- cost (cost of material, cost of application)
- weight (ease of application)
- variety of designs and colors
Manufactured veneer is cheaper than natural stone, approximately 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of natural stone. Its light weight eliminates the need for wall ties or footings and make it easier and cheaper to build. The variety of designs and colors makes available options which would not be available with natural stone, since natural stone is used in the general area around the locality which it is extracted.
Natural stone can be chipped, cut, and shaped to any size needed. The cut off pieces can be reused.
The advantages of natural stone veneer over manufactured stone are:
- Durability (real stone will not fade or crack over time. It lasts for centuries)
- Aesthetics, its look is generally viewed as superior to the man-made painted cultured stone product. Characteristics which identify natural stone such as the texture, moss or lichen growing on the rock, unique shapes, etc. cannot be matched with manufactured stone.
- Its semi-light weight eliminates the need for wall ties or footings and make it easier and cheaper to build.